- Serving size: 1 level tsp or 2 bamboo scoops = about 2 grams (adjust to suit your need)
- Enjoy 1 serving each morning and 1 serving after lunch.
- *Note - If you have a sweet tooth, you might not like the grassy note in pure organic matcha with just water.
Health Benefits and Amount per Serving of 2 Grams:
- Catechins: ~240mg (includes 120mg EGCG), a powerful antioxidant.
- Theanine: ~30mg, a precious amino acid almost unique to matcha. It increases mental calmness and focus across a few hours. Highest in Kago Matcha than any other Matcha.
- Caffeine: ~60mg ( = ~2/3 of an 8 oz cup of coffee). Improves alertness and energy level.
- The unique combination of caffeine and theanine may have the effect of making you feel alert and calm at the same time without jitter and sustaining the mental focus without crash. Studies show its effects on improving mental clarity and cognitive performance.
Instruction: 5 minutes end-to-end, 1 minute for whisking.
- Prep: Heat water to 160F - 175F or let fully boiled water cool down (for ~3 mins) to feel hot but not burning. DO NOT USE BOILING WATER.
- Place 1 tsp or 2 bamboo scoops of matcha powder into the matcha bowl.
- Pour 5 oz of water to fill about 1/3 way up in the matcha bowl or cup.
- Use the bamboo whisk to brush the powder at an angle a couple of times to avoid the powder sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
- Or, if you can add the matcha powder after you pour in the water.
- Hold the whisk vertically, from the top, not from the side.
Whisk back-n-forth in a straight "I" line RAPIDLY, not circularly.
Shake your hand at the wrist point, without moving your arm. Relax your shoulder and elbow.
- Don't scratch the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk up a big matcha wave (about 15 seconds).
- After the bowl is full of bubbly foam, slow down gradually in a "W" pattern around the bowl to reduce the big bubbles into smooth microfoam.
- When you see a calm frothy surface, gently circulate the whisk and lift it up elegantly.
- If you don't have a bamboo whisk, you can use a handheld frother or a blender to dissolve the powder in water. Alternatively you can shake the matcha in a bottle until a smooth crema forms on top.
- If you don't have any matcha tool, stir it with a spoon or fork rigorously in a mug. Although you won't get the froth and will have clumps in the bottom, you can keep adding water to finish up the powder.
- For iced matcha on the go, add 1 tsp of Kago powder onto 8-12 oz cold water and some ice cubes in an airtight bottle. Shake rigorously for 15-30 seconds. Voila!
Storage: To avoid matcha powder puffing out, tap the matcha bag before opening or closing. Gently pinch the air out and seal tightly to close. This will help minimize air and moisture (oxygen and moisture will gradually oxidate matcha). Matcha bag is very thick and blocks light well. Store your matcha bag in the refrigerator or in a dry, cool, dark place.